Re: *Where* lots of _examples_ of Makefile.am/configure.ac's for complex

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: *Where* lots of _examples_ of Makefile.am/configure.ac's for complex trees of source code?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:32:08 -0400

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:49:16PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> There are a few holes in my understanding and I think
> if I could see many examples of this it would help

Take a look at some of the GNU software -- textutils, findutils,
things like that.  I find them to be useful examples.

Even if you don't need to use the packages, try configuring them
(with a --prefix that won't clobber anything important, of
course!), building, and installing them.  Then read the code to
see how it did what it did.

Choose packages that have had releases in the last couple of
years, though.  The autotools have changed a *lot* in the last
few years, so what you learn from an older package will be much
less useful.  Indeed, it'll likely be confusing, with lots of
ugly kludges to do things that you can now do cleanly.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
My Wine works.  However it crashes about half the time on startup.
Apparently their simulation of windoze API is getting too accurate.  :)
        - Kyle Sallee