Re: automake configure script hangs on OSF1...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: automake configure script hangs on OSF1...
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:32:54 +0200

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 02:21:34PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> > * Ed Hartnett wrote on Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:57:26AM CEST:
> >>
> >> I am trying to install automake and an OSF1 system. I just installed
> >> autoconf, but the automake configure hangs looking for it...

> checking whether autoconf is installed... yes
> + echo configure:2262: checking whether autoconf works
> + 1>& 5
> + echo checking whether autoconf works... \c
> + 1>& 6
> checking whether autoconf works... + test  = set
> + mkdir conftest
> + echo AC_INIT
> + 1> conftest/conftest.ac
> + echo configure:2269: cd conftest && eval autoconf -o /dev/null
> conftest.ac
> + 1>& 5
> + 1>& 5 2>& 5
>
> > before it (and maybe `set +x' some way down) to find out which command
> > hangs.  I'd suspect the
> >   eval $am_AUTOCONF -o /dev/null conftest.ac
>
> Yep, that's where it hangs.

OK.

> > but wouldn't have any idea why it should hang.  If this is correct, you
> > could try to execute this line manually: create conftest.ac consisting
> > of a line with `AC_INIT', execute autoconf as above with `/bin/sh -x' to
> > see where it hangs.  Post whatever you find.
>
> Sorry, not quite following you here...

Do the following (in a new directory, maybe) and check for hangs:

echo AC_INIT > conftest.ac
eval autoconf -o /dev/null conftest.ac
eval sh -x autoconf -o /dev/null conftest.ac

If the last one hangs: which are the last few commands executed?
If non of these hang you can try this:

sed '1a\
set -x' `which autoconf` > autoconf.test
eval ./autoconf.test -o /dev/null conftest.ac

If this does not hang either, go back to Automake's `configure' script:
something must be different there: environment, shell settings.  Try to
find out what causes the hang, for example, by adding `set' or `env'
shortly before the hang, and comparing that to the settings where it
works.

Sorry to sound so diffuse, but I've seen the most diverse causes for
hangs (NFS or other "completely unrelated" network issues).

> > Maybe autom4te finds a non-GNU m4?  Which autoconf version, by the
> > way?
>
> I did install a recent gnu m4, so it's not that. (Good idea though).

Is it the first m4 in the PATH?

> Here's the autoconf version:
> % autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59