Re: shared library from smaller pieces

From: Vlad Skvortsov
Subject: Re: shared library from smaller pieces
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:59:46 -0800

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hi Vlad,

* Vlad Skvortsov wrote on Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 11:46:46PM CET:
Ok, I believe I have to explain more here. My product is deemed to be self-contained: no dependencies on external shared libraries, nothing. I build all my [C] applications static. However, recently a need has arised to write a Perl script and include it into the distribution. This script needs some functionality from my core libraries. So I have to build a shared module that my Perl script will load and use. I guarantee that noone else will link against this shared module; if someone will, it's not my problems, since I didn't intend to.

My application uses third-party library that is [deemed by its author to be] built as shared. However, I want all my applications to link statically against it and I want my shared module to include its contents (so that the end user doesn't have to install this third-party shared library).

Does it make the situation clearer?

Yes.  The answer is: I don't think this is possible.  This isn't even a
limitation of the autotools, but simply a limitation of most systems:
you can't portably get a shared library to end up being contained in an
archive, and the result be used correctly.  Somebody please correct me
if I'm wrong here, but I would not know that this is doable.  The only
exceptions I know where this *may* work are w32 and AIX, actually only
the latter I believe.
Well, yes, I understand that it's not possible if all we have is just a shared library binary. But my case is when I have _sources_ of the libtool-controlled library, not in my tree though. So, I have both .a and .so/.dylib for that. The one thing that is missing here is the ability to make autotools use the right file.

--
Vlad Skvortsov, address@hidden, address@hidden