Re: Freebsd vs built sources

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Freebsd vs built sources
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:33:21 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 08:13:06PM +0800, John Darrington wrote:
> $(top_builddir)/subdir/mystuff.c: $(top_srcdir)/subdir/mystuff.x
>         cp $(top_srcdir)/subdir/mystuff.x $(top_builddir)/subdir/mystuff.c
>
> CLEANFILES= $(top_builddir)/subdir/mystuff.c
> mystuff_libstuff_a_SOURCES = subdir/mystuff.c

the problem is that BSD make does not understand that
./subdir/mystuff.c is the same file as subdir/mystuff.c .

The solution is to use of of these two names consistently.

Just omit "$(top_builddir)/" from all occurences.

And if subdir/mystuff.x is not generated in any way, you can omit the
"$(top_srcdir)/" prefix from it, too.

If the actual situation is more complex, please post a bigger
example, or a pointer to your real tarball.

Hope this helps.

> [...]  This is rather annoying, because the whole
> reason for using automake is supposed to be that I don't have to waste
> time on these issues.

Not exactly true.  Automake relieves you from the troubles of
writing your own makefiles; writing portable makefiles is only one
of them.  Another one is implementing all the targets required by GNU
Coding Standards, eg., dist, clean, distclean, install (which should
respect DESTDIR), etc.  And Automake gives you "make distcheck" which
can diagnose possible issues before they manage to cause problem in
an actual release.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan