Dependency of Makefile.in on Makefile.am is not aware

From: Tzu-Chien Chiu
Subject: Dependency of Makefile.in on Makefile.am is not aware
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:49:38 +0800

Hello all.

I have a strange problem on cygwin. The Makefile generated by
'configure' doesn't detect the change of corresponding Makefile.am.
I have to manually remove the corresponding Makefile.in to force it to
be re-generated. I didn't enable the maintainer mode and neither
have AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in configure.ac.

Examing generated Makefile I found the dependency of Makefile.in are
commented out by #. Is it on purpose? Or I missing anything in
configure.ac?

.SUFFIXES:
am--refresh:
      @:
$(srcdir)/Makefile.in: # $(srcdir)/Makefile.am  $(am__configure_deps)
      @for dep in $?; do \
        case '$(am__configure_deps)' in \
          *$$dep*) \
            echo ' cd $(srcdir) && $(AUTOMAKE) --foreign '; \
            cd $(srcdir) && $(AUTOMAKE) --foreign  \
              && exit 0; \
            exit 1;; \
        esac; \
      done; \
      echo ' cd $(top_srcdir) && $(AUTOMAKE) --foreign  Makefile'; \
      cd $(top_srcdir) && \
        $(AUTOMAKE) --foreign  Makefile

The versions of the programs I use:
* autoconf 2.59
* automake 1.9.6

--
Tzu-Chien Chiu - SMedia Technology Corp.