Re: convenience libraries & binary size

From: Pieter Grimmerink
Subject: Re: convenience libraries & binary size
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 15:16:36 +0200

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 13:45, Pieter Grimmerink wrote:
> In an autotools project, I recently moved sourcefiles into convenience
> libraries, because the number of sourcefiles was getting rather large.
>
> Before this reorganisation, the binary size of the resulting (stripped)
> executable was about 800KB.
> But after I moved about 50% of the total sourcecode into convenience
> libraries, the stripped executable had grown to a huge 1200KB.

I have to make a decision now, and I see only two options:

1. move all >200 sourcefiles back into a single directory...
2. stop using autotools, so we no longer need convenience libs to handle
subdirectories

Apparently convenience libs are not an option for embedded systems, so
perhaps one could conclude that autotools are not an option for larger
projects on embedded systems?

Regards, Pieter