Re: trying to install docs that are distributed with my package...

From: Tyler MacDonald
Subject: Re: trying to install docs that are distributed with my package...
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:04:13 -0700

Ed Hartnett <address@hidden> wrote:
> What I want is to build the documentation on the developer's machine,
> include it in the distribution, and then install it.
>
> The documents are all texinfo documents, and we cannot require that
> every user machine have texinfo and tex installed.

        It sounds like the best plan would be to add a flag to "configure"
that indicates you want to build docs, like --with-build-docs using
AC_ARG_WITH. Then you could use the AM_CONDITIONAL macro to set it up to be
an automake conditional, and use "if" directives in your Makefile.am to make
it so that the rules for building documentation only appear when that flag
is specified. There's plenty of documentation on this (just look up
AM_CONDITIONAL). If you want an example, I do this all over the place for
stuff in mod_bt [http://www.crackerjack.net/mod_bt/].

        Cheers,
                Tyler