Re: false positive result with 'make distcheck'

From: Guillaume Rousse
Subject: Re: false positive result with 'make distcheck'
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:08:04 +0200

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Now, even when you stick "$(srcdir)/" in front of the prerequisites,
> still VPATH searching applies.  Since source tree of the distcheck
> source (that below /tmp/rpmbuildupdate-0.7/rpmbuildupdate-0.7) does
> not contain the *.in files, but VPATH contains "..", the `make' executed
> inside the directory /tmp/rpmbuildupdate-0.7/_build finds the file
>   ../../rpmbuildupdate.in.in
>
> and happily uses them; that is: the second "../" is your "$(srcdir)/",
> and the first "../" is the result from make's VPATH search.
>
> Was this understandable?
Yes, thanks for those explanations.

Would not distcheck target be more foolproof then if it used a random
writable temporary directory rather than a local one ? I have no clue
however about the portability of mktemp(1), but this is supposed to take
place on maintainer's host anyway.

--
Guillaume Rousse
Projet Estime, INRIA