Re: The automake/libtool way to make a dynamic lib from multiple sources

From: Ryan McDougall
Subject: Re: The automake/libtool way to make a dynamic lib from multiple sources
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:51:41 +0900

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 04:34 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> > > You should keep in mind that the convenience archives will end up in
> > > total (i.e., all their symbols, not just needed ones) in the resulting
> > > module.
> >
> > This is a good point, thank you. Do you have any more information
> > somewhere that elaborates on this point?
>
> The Libtool manual has more details about this (but it's arguably a bit
> cryptic about convenience archives).  I'm not sure what you need to
> know.

Since Im leaning to this method, Id like to investigate just what sort
of inefficiencies Im going to incur this way. Basically I don't know a
whole lot about the details of dynamic linking, so Id like to learn
whats happening, if possible/reasonable.

> > What is the "module" target?
>
> Oh, I forgot.  If you install the modules in $(libdir), just use
> lib_LTLIBRARIES; for the above to work you need something like
>   moduledir = $(libdir)/foo
>
> or similar (e.g., pkglibdir; or a setting in configure.ac).
>
> You should not forget the libtool link flag -module (libA_la_LDFLAGS).

This sounds interesting, is there a place I can read about this modules
bit?