Re: Shared without libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Shared without libtool
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 01:44:20 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, March 8, 2008 01:33, NightStrike wrote:

>> > How would one go about doing it?  in a nutshell..
>>
>> Oh, I forgot, sorry: there is a special impediment, namely that I won't
>> help people to do it.  No reason making myself more work needlessly.
>
> That's rather harsh... no need to be mean about it.  I was asking at a
> very high level, not asking for step by step instructions.

Hey, I didn't intend to be mean about it at all.  I don't mind if people
recommend non-autotools solutions on this list (as long as they don't put
autotools down unreasonably).  All I'm saying is that I don't go out of
my way and think about these issues, too.  If you have a special problem
and can describe it, I may well look into it.  But not doing so for any
reason is not harsh.  It's just my choice.  Maybe someone else helps you
(or maybe someone else writes such an obviously wrong answer that I will
feel obliged to correct ;-).

At a very high level: Makefile.am files are pretty much just Makefiles
with extra syntactic sugar.  So you can write plain make rules.  Do
whatever you did with make before you used Automake.