The trouble with versions

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: The trouble with versions
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:33:43 -0400

Original library was setup and installed as:

libproject_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 0:0:0 $(ALDFLAG) $(BLDFLAG)

I added a new procedure and modified several others (without changing their
interface).

Refering to 7.3 of libtool I change the above to:

libproject_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 1:1:1 $(ALDFLAG) $(BLDFLAG)

I uninstalled the original library, did a "autoreconf -vfi", "./configure",
and checked src/Makefile to see that 1:1:1 was still in the procedure and
then did a "make" followed by "sudo make install" with the following results
in /usr/local/lib:

libproject.a
libproject.la
libproject.so
libproject.so.0
libproject.so.0.1.1    <--- previously 0.0.0

What is going on??  As far as I am concerned I followed the rules of libtools.
Secondly, what and how are the control files magically altered from explicit
instructions.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.  Obviously.

This has been a persistant confusion.

Lucid explanation would be greatly appreciated.