Testing a new compiler with Automake "simple tests"

From: Roberto Bagnara
Subject: Testing a new compiler with Automake "simple tests"
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:13:55 +0200

I would like to test a new special-purpose compiler
(which is part of a bigger project) using the Automake
"simple tests" feature.  I have two problems:

1) I have not found a way to force recompilation
   of all test programs whenever the compiler executable
   has changed.  Note that we are talking about
   thousands of test programs so, if at all possible,
   I would like to avoid listing that dependency
   for each one of those.

2) Automatic dependency tracking cannot work in
   that directory of the project (indeed, the only
   dependency is on the compiler... all the test
   programs are self-contained).  How can I disably
   automatic dependency tracking *only* on that
   directory?

Many thanks in advance,

   Roberto

--