Re: Automake and Texinfo: clean the info or pdf file

Subject: Re: Automake and Texinfo: clean the info or pdf file
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:57:59 +0200

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:54:04 +0200
Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> * YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote on Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 05:41:40PM CEST:
> > I work on a project which use automake and include a documentation in
> > Texinfo format.
> >
> > If I call :
> > $ make
> > The .info file is built.
>
> In the source tree (right?).  And it will be distributed (with 'make
> dist').
>
> > If I call :
> > $ make clean
> > The .info file is not cleaned.
>
> Nope, because it is distributed.  Distributed things are usually cleaned
> with maintainer-clean; or distclean.  This makes more sense if you
> consider that, users that download tarballs of your package, will
> already have the info file after extraction; it's then only logical that
> 'make clean' should not remove it.  See also 'info Automake Clean'.
>
> > It is the same thing for pdf, if I call :
> > $ make pdf
> > The .pdf file is built.
>
> In the build tree.  But not distributed.
>
> > If I call :
> > $ make clean
> > The .pdf file is not cleaned.
>
> That's weird.  It should be cleaned, and over here, it is.  Can you send
> a small example setup to reproduce this?  Which automake version do you
> use?
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf

Yes I speak about the source tree only.

Sorry what I said was wrong. If I call :
$ make clean
the .pdf is correctly removed.
So you needn't an example and the automake version.

You are right if I call :
$ make maintainer-clean
the .info file is removed :-)
But my Makefile is also removed :-(
So, I need to call the configure script to build it again.

But, you are wrong, if I call :
$ make distclean
only the .pdf and Makefile are removed :-(

So, now, I know how to remove the .info file.
But I am disappointed because I need to rebuild the Makefile which is also
removed.

Is there an other way to remove my .info file without remove my Makefile?