Re: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

From: Roumen Petrov
Subject: Re: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 23:12:57 +0300

Hi Stefano,

Stefano Lattarini wrote:
[SNIP]
It should still be possible, with the right hack (which is tested in the
testsuite, and required by other packages anyway).  The baseline is: if
you don't want your '.info' files to be distributed, then it should be
easily possible to have them built in the builddir; but if you want them
distributed, they will be built in the srcdir.
Sound like if user would like to distribute binaries they must be in source directory . Why generated file, not required for build process, has to be places in source tree.

What if author(s) would like to separate process of document creation from binaries ?

  The rationale to do so is
to ensure that, in both cases, the developer's tree layout (as bootstrapped
from a VCS checkout) will match the user's tree layout (as obtained from a
distribution tarball).
May be I miss what is rationale to keep read-only and build-ready source tree.

[SNIP]

Roumen

P.S. I'm not member of all list so I just post to automake list.