libtool libraries, dependencies and parallel builds

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: libtool libraries, dependencies and parallel builds
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:18:20 +0100

Hey

I want to build to libraries names eina and eo within a single
Makefile.am. They are in the following tree structure:

src/Makefile.am
src/lib/eina/
src/lib/eo

eo depends on eina. The Makefile.am file is (i've stripped the unneeded parts)

AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = subdir-objects

lib_LTLIBRARIES = lib/eina/libeina.la lib/eo/libeo.la

lib_eo_libeo_la_LIBADD = $(top_builddir)/src/lib/eina/libeina.la

when I compile with 'make', no problem. With a parallel build (make
-j3 for example), I get that error:

  CC     lib/eo/lib_eo_libeo_la-eo_base_class.lo
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `../src/lib/eina/libeina.la',
needed by `lib/eo/libeo.la'.  Stop.

I thought that adding in the LIBADD primary libeina.la was sufficient
to deal with dependencies, but it seems that it is not.

What should I add to correctly manage dependencies with parallel
builds in my case ?

thank you

Vincent Torri