Re: Make autoconf and automake generate compile_commands.json for integr

From: Basin Ilya
Subject: Re: Make autoconf and automake generate compile_commands.json for integration with other build systems and IDEs
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 22:47:20 +0300

Hi Doron.

The list of source files and resulting object files isn't known until `make` is
launched. The IDE should be ready to support a constantly updating compilation
database.

It is possible to create a wrapper program for GNU Make that will do the job.
It won't be part of Make, you will have to install it separately. An IDE can be
configured to run the wrapper instead of the real Make binary.

The wrapper can handle the shell commands executed by Make. For instance, it
can pass these commands and other information to another component that will
update the compilation database.

I have a script that stores the needed info in a binary format, but somebody
has to write at least the part that reads the binary data from the standard
input and converts it to JSON.

I think this question belongs to the GNU Make mailing list, not Autotools.