Re: [avr-chat] a kind request

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] a kind request
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:11:22 -0800

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Douglas Dotson <address@hidden> wrote:
I just downloaded the latest version of WinAVR and
discovered that the TWI header has been moved from
the "avr" diectory to the "compat" directory.
Anyone know why?
Because it's been on the TODO list for many years.  So many years that
nobody can even remember why the item has once been put there :).  I
seem to remember it's been Ted Roth who suggested it by the time when
we decided that avr/timer.h serves no useful purpose, and should go
away.  Nobody objected, so it went onto the TODO list.  If you dig up
the mailing list archives (all is available online), you should be
able to find it.

I hate to be a PITA again, but that was not the question. I'll rephrase in order to try to get to the bottom of this:

Why was removing avr/twi.h put on the TODO list in the first place? What purpose does removing the file serve?

The file contained absolutely nothing other than a set of #defines that provided mostly human-understandable names for all of the various (several dozen!) byte return codes that can come out of the TWI subsystem (which are identical on every AVR device ever made, afaik). Without this file, all TWI code must instead use the raw and utterly meaningless numeric values.

There's a reason we dub such things "convenience" macros.