Re: [avr-chat] Un-tar-ing a file in Windows

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Un-tar-ing a file in Windows
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:57:59 -0600

TODD BATZLER wrote:

Saw Brian Dean's post on avrdude and I'm a long way from being able to
help, but my first step is to figure out how to 'un-tar' a file under Windows XP. I
can de-compress
it to the base .tar file.  Can someone point me in the right direction
to get the rest
of the way.

Much appreciated.
Do NOT use WinZip as it has been known to corrupt tar files in the past.

Realize, that avrdude was originally created for FreeBSD (Unix). To build it for Windows requires a POSIX layer on top of Windows: Cygwin
http://www.cygwin.com/
You can use the (command line) programs that you can download with Cygwin to untar the file. This is generally the preferred method.

Eric