Re: [avr-chat] avrdude : chip not responding

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrdude : chip not responding
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:32:53 +1000

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:41:09AM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Yes, I undid my cable and replaced the 1K resistors with 330ohms ones,
> still no joy. I think I will remove the resistors from the cable DB-25
> connector, and simply implement them directly on the avr board so that I
> can easily/quickly fiddle with them.
> I then shortened the cable as much as I could, from 2.65 metre down to
> one metre, but still no joy.

Vincent,

Once you have eliminated host communication as a cause, it might be worth
checking yet again, the state of relevant chip pins. I once found that
partial responsiveness during attempted programming was due to a short
on the reset pin.

If all else fails, have you connected all vcc and gnd pins, providing a
good bypass cap on each? Programming may put transient demands on the
supply.

Incidentally, when I program a chip, on a board, using an STK500, the
intervening cable is only 15 cm long. Since there are so few wires
involved in the experiment, it may be worth finally eliminating cable
length as a cause.

Best of luck,
Erik