Re: [avr-chat] Serial Numbers with avrdude (or other?)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Serial Numbers with avrdude (or other?)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:36:32 +0200 (MET DST)

David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

> The -U option might work without having to generate a hex or srec
> file for each and every serial number, but in the "m" immediate mode
> I don't see any means of specifying an address?

I recently came across that myself, it might be a worthwhile addition
to add.  The only question would be how to specify it in a
backwards-compatible way (i.e. if no address is present, use address
0).

Would it make sense to use

.... -U ee:w:0x42#1,2,3,4:m

?

Pitfall: # is a comment character in the Unix shell, so it needs to be
quoted.

Alternatively:

.... -U ee:w:0x42:1,2,3,4:m

Drawback: inconsistent style.  Normally, the argument to -U must have
at most three colons.  OTOH, the parser is already capable of skipping
any additional colon within the file name part, as this is needed for
Windows file names, so that can probably just be re-used here.

Another option is to synthesize a simple intel hex file (or even
binary file), and feed it via stdin.  You can specify an input file as
"-" to mean stdin.  That will work already right now.

> Also in the manpage I see "memtype" is often used, defined as "The
> memtype field specifies the memory type to operate on." But its
> valid values are never enumerated.

As Vincent already wrote, that's because they are chip-dependent, and
dynamically obtained from the configuration file for each chip in
question.  Anyway, there's already a bug report open that requests the
documentation to at least list all known memory types.