[avr-chat] Re: How to compile AVRDUDE for Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3

From: Dean Hall
Subject: [avr-chat] Re: How to compile AVRDUDE for Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:36:14 -0600

It looks like you are trying to include a file from the readline library which would only occur if HAVE_LIBREADLINE were true -- and the compiler cannot find the include file in the expected location. Running "./configure" should have detected that the readline library wasn't found; but that seems not to be the case. Also, check to see if you have the file the compiler is looking for; it should be at / usr/include/readline/readline.h (maybe it is somewhere else in your tree?). A fix? uhhh... rerun ./configure ? Learn about the configure and make system? (Hopefully someone else will have a more complete solution).

Once you get past your current issue (and maybe others), you'll have trouble with the "tex" issue. Here's a work-around for that:

Do a make; make will fail if you haven't installed tex; ignore for now.
Copy the doc/avrdude-html directory to a safe place.
Edit the Makefile to remove 'doc' from SUBDIRS (in 2 places?).
Do a make again; this should complete w/o error.
sudo make install

results:
        /usr/local/bin/avrdude
        /usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf