Re: [avr-chat] avrdude-ATMega32 fuse bits issues

From: Neil Davey
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrdude-ATMega32 fuse bits issues
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:57:04 +1000

Hi Chris,
You could be running into a couple of problems...  As Joerg pointed out,
breadboards/proto boards and high speed devices generally are an unhappy
mix if your not careful..
They do generally have higher capacitancies than a pcb board, so you may
have to lower, or even remove the 22pf caps on the crystal, as the extra
capacitance in the board could be loading the crystal to much... if you
can, try a slower crystal also...

Also you are using a the basic bsd programmer (resistors off the
parallel port) this *should* be ok, but I've never been a big fan of
it... I use a 4050 non inverting buffer between the parallel port and
the avr, and power it from the circuit supply rail...

Regards
Neil

address@hidden wrote:

Hello,

I am having quite a bit of trouble with the fuse bits and I have 4 chips which exhibit this issue. I am able to program the chip with the default factory settings and it functions fine. However, I need to use a 16Mhz external crystal. So I have that hooked up between the two XTAL pins with two 22pF caps to gnd.

--
Neil Davey

School of Microelectronic Engineering
Nathan Campus