Re: [avr-chat] avrdude-ATMega32 fuse bits issues

From: Terry Karlson
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrdude-ATMega32 fuse bits issues
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:32:23 -0500

Neil Davey wrote:
Hi Chris,
You could be running into a couple of problems...  As Joerg pointed out,
breadboards/proto boards and high speed devices generally are an unhappy
mix if your not careful..
They do generally have higher capacitancies than a pcb board, so you may
have to lower, or even remove the 22pf caps on the crystal, as the extra
capacitance in the board could be loading the crystal to much... if you

Hmmm...  let's try a quick calculation:

Take the common breadboard configuration of rows of 5 holes connected. Let's calculate the capacitance between 2 parallel rows and assume that figure at least indicates the scale of parasitic capacitances we're dealing with.

Yanked a row of contacts out of a breadboard: it's essentially 2 flat, parallel leaves (===== viewed from above), so between 2 rows we just have a parallel plate cap. Separation ~ 0.5 mm. Length of base = 12 mm. Now, the leaves within a row start out vertical at the base, but above 2 mm, deflect towards each other higher up, so here the separation between rows is greater than 0.5 mm (up to about 2.0 mm apart). So, we could take the height as 2 mm and assume that accounts for most of the capacitance, but let's just double that to 4 mm just to be sure. (The total height of the leaves is 7 mm.) So, area ~ 12 * 4 ~ 50 mm^2.

I'm not sure exactly what types of plastic breadboard blocks may be made of, but a glance at a table of relative permittivities eps{r} shows a few plastics in the range 2 .. 3, so take eps{r} ~ 3.

Thus, C = eps{r} eps{0} A / d ~ 3 * 9e-12 * 50e-6 / 0.5e-3 ~ 3 pF.

(Anyone have an LC meter?)

Assuming I did that right, that looks like enough to certainly affect things a bit, but not necessarily fatally so...

(I have breadboarded a few micro designs, but of course ever since we've had internal RC clocks we haven't had to bother with the crystal until it was on a board. But I _must've_ tried this at least once or twice (e.g. by also cutting the XTAL leads to about 10 mm), and don't remember it _not_ working...)

-Terry Karlson