Re: [avr-chat] usbasp

From: Neil Davey
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] usbasp
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:18:05 +1000

Hi all,
It should be noted that the usbasp desing will work ok with usb1.1 ports, but you *may* find that usb2 port complain.... I built this for use under windows, on an older machine with usb1.1 ports, no problems, detected and installed drivers.. On my new laptop with usb2 ports it didn't detect properly and wouldn't install drivers.

After looking closer to the circuit diagram, and also emailing Objective Developments (creators of the AVR USB) with the design running at 5V the signal levels on the usb bus are out of specification for usb2. You can either install a 3.5V voltage regulator into the circuit, as per Objective Developments examples or a suggestion from Objective Developments that I have not tried is to change the values of R6 and R7 to try and bring the line voltages back into spec.

I added a 3.3V regulator to the circuit and it worked fine on usb2 ports. Of course it you are using a 5V target circuit this is a problem.
Just my experience with this... YMMV

Regards
Neil Davey