Re : [avr-chat] "Proper" programmer for Linux ?

From: Yann GOUY
Subject: Re : [avr-chat] "Proper" programmer for Linux ?
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 22:10:28 +0000 (GMT)

hello,

Digikey sells to France, use http://fr.digikey.com/

regards.

     Yann

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Vincent Trouilliez <address@hidden>
À : avr-chat <address@hidden>
Envoyé le : Mardi, 3 Juillet 2007, 14h32mn 29s
Objet : Re: [avr-chat] "Proper" programmer for Linux ?

"Dave Hylands" <address@hidden> wrote:
> All of the following are available from Digikey (http://www.digikey.com/)
>
> ATAVRISP2 - AVRISP mkII - $43.74
> ATSTK500 -STK500 kit  $102.05
> ATAVRDRAGON - AVR Dragon - $59.33
> ATAVRDEVKIT1 - Bundle of STK500 + Dragon - $59.68
> ATAVRDEVKIT2 - Bundle of JTAGICE2 + Dragon - $182.69
>
> Right now, the STK500 + Dragon bundle is probably the best deal going.
>
> The dragon can be used to do ISP or JTAG and the STK500 is really nice
> for initial prototyping.

Thanks all very much for your input, which allowed me to make my mind.
In my case I think the best is to first try the DIY Ponyprog
programmer, as it looks like it may be sophisticated enough to sort me
out, mainly thanks to the buffer chip, then if that fails and I resort
to spending some money, the AVR Dragon bundle looks like the ideal
choice. And I will look into more expensive JTAG in-circuit debuggers
options later, once my current project is out the door, and I have more
money and time to investigate this "arena".
Only regret/annoyance is that Digikey doesn't sell to France, but they
appear to have a German website and thanks to the Euro being strong,
the 60 bucks of the Dragon melted down to a mere 40 Euros, which is
rather attractive. They also have a UK website, but since they aren't
in the Euro currency zone, and there is the channel between us, it's
likely that the overall cost will turn out cheaper when ordering from
Germany.

Thanks again everybody, you were most useful as usual ;-)

--
Vince