[avr-chat] Keeping posts of particular interest

From: Juergen Harms
Subject: [avr-chat] Keeping posts of particular interest
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:09:20 +0200

The replies on PWM in the avr-gcc list make me warm up an old discussion: how can a selection of information from the avr-gcc and avr-chat mailing lists be distilled into something with a less ephemeral visibility and easier to access (search, sort) than an entry in an email archive?

The most recent discussion a few months ago considered to have a wiki (with the question whether existing wikis could be used) or to enhance the Doxygen generated documentation - both suffering from the problem of resources, and that it is difficult to make this kind of solution survive due to the need of a sustained effort to keep them alive.

Personally, I use a half-way work-around (and I guess others do the same thing): I simply collect email items that I think of possible future interest in a local email folder. Could such a solution be generalised?

Just to provoke a discussion, here is the outline of an approach: (1) create a mailbox with an archive that has public access; (2) send messages that are worth-while keeping to that mailbox; (3) find an understanding on what is "worth-while keeping" - for instance, messages in which the original poster of a problem (if he does not, somebody else) sums up the essential results; (4) there could be some guidelines to respect, for instance to make sure that the subject line is clear and useful as a search-key, and possibly add a link to the corresponding thread in the archive; (5) this mailbox could be structured to have a system of (sub-)folders, but there we might be back to the need for a moderator.

Creating a mailbox and maintaining it should not be too difficult: when somebody submits a problem and gets it solved (or ends up with a no-go conclusion) he will be motivated to do the summing up - that is a one-time action and does not require sustained effort. At least primitive tools for searching a mailbox exist. That is far from perfect, but much better than nothing.

What do you think?

I have seen messages with references like Re: AVR-chat Digest, Vol xxx, issue yyy go by. Is that already something in this direction - what is AVR-chat Digest?

Juergen