Re: [avr-chat] AVRs in South Africa?

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVRs in South Africa?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:38:14 +1000

Rodney Arne Karlsen wrote:
Hi all

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm kinda at my wits end. I am trying to find somewhere in South Africa, preferably in Durban, to get Atmel AVRs in a PDIP package. I contacted Arrow Altech and they only had surface mount, and EBV wanted me to buy a minimum of like 300 and even then they took a week or more to respond to my emails.

Right now I am prototyping a device that we hope to produce in quantity later on but for now I can only justify buying a maximum of 10 AVRs. I'm looking for proces on the parts below. The mega8 and mega48 parts are for 2 USB-ISP units I wanna build for use in the workshop. The device I'm designing would use the ATMega324 or ATmega644 device.
ATmega324PV-10PU
ATmega324PV-20PU
ATmega644PV-10PU
ATmega644PV-20PU
ATmega8L-8PC
ATmega8-16PC
ATmega48V-10PI
ATmega48-20PI

Any ideas where I can get these parts and how much they would be? If need be I'll order them from outside the country if I have to and I can get them here pretty quickly.

I bypass all the idiots in Australia because they're a total pain to get
parts below a minimum high MOQ. I get a lot of stuff direct from Arrow Nth
America. They have a good search and online ordering function:

  http://www.arrownac.com/arrow

Beware that the minimum order for any single part is $30 IIRC, so it might
be a problem if you only need a couple each of a dozen different parts.

The postage isn't cheap, so it makes sense to consolidate as many parts
as possible into one order.