Re: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:19:10 +0200

As Eric Weddington wrote:

> Patches to avrdude are welcome to read an ELF file, and to program
> flash, eeprom, and fuses from a single ELF file.

Btw., AVaRICE has been working like that for years (using the ELF
file, and derive the memory region type based on the offsets).  It
only takes care of flash ROM and EEPROM images as loadable images, but
also does already have offsets for fuse (0x820000), lock (0x830000),
and signature (0x840000) address spaces.  It eventually reads all
possible sections of a particular memory type into an internal image,
and then uses it to program the respective memory areas from that.

The fuse memory region is handled as one region, possibly containing
low fuses (just called "fuse" on those old AVRs with only one fuse
byte), high fuses, and maybe extended fuses.  As libbfd can also read
Intel hex and Motorola S-Record files, it should be possible to handle
them by the very same code, but I haven't verified this would really
work.