Re: [avr-chat] AVR and accelarometers

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR and accelarometers
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 20:26:39 +0100

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:38:42 -0600
David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
> IIRC the history of I2C was that it was created in retaliation for
> Apple not freely licensing Apple Desktop Bus. I2C never caught on as a
> keyboard/mouse interface but is widely used for other things such as
> temperature sensors.

Hi David,

When I learned the I2C bus at school 10 years ago, I bought a nice book
about it, written by a French fellow, Dominique Paret, who says he was
involved in the design of that Bus at Philips.
He says they designed it in the early 80's mainly to connect
integrated circuits cheaply, in high volume appliances (TV's, CD
players to start with, to satisfy Philips own products of that time).
He then explains that the qualities of the bus were quickly recognised
and so, many companies quickly started using it and bought licenses to
develop IC's featuring this interface.
Then, among these companies interested in using this bus, was
Digital/DEC, who signed an agreement with Philips, to derive their own
bus, the "Access.BUS", to put together all the peripherals of their
computer, mouse, keyboard etc.
He says the Access.bus is very close to the I2C bus, directly
compatible electrically-wise, and very close protocol-wise.

So I think maybe your memory meant "Access.Bus" instead of I2C ? ;-)

Regards,

--
Vince