weak crystal driving mode (was: Re: [avr-chat] (no subject))

From: Clemens Koller
Subject: weak crystal driving mode (was: Re: [avr-chat] (no subject))
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:14:18 +0100

David VanHorn schrieb:
I don't know how the internal osc. behaves. But external
crystals can be weakly driven for low power applications.
I.e. I have an 3.3V AVR and an external 11.0592MHz crystal.
The voltage swing on this crystal has only 1Vss but is still
working very reliable (verified with additional load).

Check your CKOPT fuse. You should not run with that fuse in the
default state without a lot of research as to wether your crystal will
work on that drive.

As I said, I verified that it works reliable, so I can recommend
using that feature _if_done_right_ to save power, since the
internal oscillator isn't really precise, even if calibrated
(and it still depends on temperature).

In the default state, the Vittoz oscillator is enabled, which is weak
and can cause BIG problems.

Which problems? I don't see any problems mentioned in the Errata Sheet(s).
Of course, you mustn't drive any other or any big load with the oscillator
and have a low power (uWatt) capable crystal.
(BTW: I'm using the ATMega168 right now).

Regards,
--
Clemens Koller