Re: [avr-chat] OT: will trade JtagIce2's for Dragon's

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] OT: will trade JtagIce2's for Dragon's
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:00:14 +0100 (MET)

Steve Franks <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've 3 jtagice2's with
> broken cables.

With a bit of work, I've been able to fix such a broken cable.

First, I cut off the faulty end(s).

I used a hot-air soldering station (a cheap one), set up to about 200
°C.  That way, I could peel off the upper insulation foil, using a
cutter knife.  (Be careful to not accidentally cut into the metal
leads.)  That way, the metal traces were open again.  Then, I used the
hot-air stream to heat up the old (already removed) ends of the cable,
so I could easily remove the small support sheets that are glued below
the cable ends, and re-glued them onto the new cable ends.

The fixed cable is then, unfortunately, even more at risk because it's
shorter, but it has proven to work.