[avr-chat] Updating AVR Development Software On Fedora 10 x86

From: Robert L Cochran
Subject: [avr-chat] Updating AVR Development Software On Fedora 10 x86
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:25:19 -0500

I've built myself a couple of Freeduino (Arduino-compatible, uses the
Atmega168) boards. This includes the Atmega644P-based Sanguino
(http://sanguino.cc/).  To write programs for these boards one uses the
Arduino IDE software which can be downloaded to a PC from
http://www.arduino.cc/. In the case of the Sanguino board, you must also
download the Sanguino-Software version 1.3 and update the Arduino IDE
with it. The Arduino IDE will compile and upload to the board your
program, which is called a "sketch".

On Fedora 10 (a Linux distro), the Arduino IDE is dependent on:

avr-binutils
avr-gcc
avr-gcc-c++
avr-libc
avrdude
uisp

In addition to a Sun Java JDK.

Unfortunately, the 1.4.6-2 (I think!) version of avr-libc which comes
with the avr utilities packaged by the Fedora organization doesn't
support the Atmega644P. So I felt the best thing to do was to build a
new rpm package for avr-libc-1.6.4 and use that to update my Fedora
system with. And because the Fedora-packaged versions of the avr
utilities were a bit old, I also updated avr-binutils to 2.19.1, avr-gcc
to 4.3.3, avr-gcc-c++ to 4.3.3 as well. I built the packages in the
order just mentioned with avr-libc being built last. I did not update
and reinstall avrdude since it is not at a new version. I didn't update
uisp either....actually I didn't give uisp any thought.

I did not apply any patches to these. I commented out all of the patches
in the RPM "spec" files for Fedora. Are there patches I should have
included for these versions?

Lastly, did I build the packages in the correct order?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA