Re: [avr-chat] avr-gdb, assembly, and JTAG

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avr-gdb, assembly, and JTAG
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:02:01 -0400

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

... [the] ATmega16 [is] certainly a good choice for experimenting.

I agree completely with this. I also think that the selection of JTAG is correct because you can do everything (set fuses, program and debug) in a "seamless" fashion (at least in AVR Studio, probably also with the right Linux tool set). Plus, you can't brick the device by setting the clock fuses incorrectly. The ATmega16 also has a good set of peripheral functions, but the data sheet isn't overwhelming, as data sheets of the richer devices could appear to students. Finally, if you need more RAM or Flash, it has a big brother in the ATmega32.

Graham.