Re: [avr-chat] avr-gdb, assembly, and JTAG

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avr-gdb, assembly, and JTAG
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 22:03:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Marge Coahran <address@hidden> wrote:

> I expect I'll be ordering some STK500 JTAG adapters from Ecros
> Tech too. :)

Alas, I'm afraid the old JTAG ICE mkI protocol code might slightly
start bit-rotting in the toolchain.  Personally, I haven't been using
a protocol version 1 device for years, so I wouldn't want to make any
promises on that area.  It might still work the way it used to, but
there's always a slight chance that changes in other parts of the code
(namely, in AVaRICE) could negatively affect the old codebase when
it's no longer being tested.

I'm a little sorry for Graham here, but I'd rater recommend using the
AVR Dragon instead since it's a protocol version 2 device.  The only
thing when using it for students is that you should somehow find a
housing for it, to avoid shortcuts.