Re: [avr-chat] How can I individualise specific CPUs?

From: Eric Pasquier
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] How can I individualise specific CPUs?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:56:44 +0200

Dear Juergen,

What about an external SPI/I2C eeprom ?

Eric

----- Original Message ----- From: "Juergen Harms" <address@hidden>
To: "avr-chat" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 9:45 AM
Subject: [avr-chat] How can I individualise specific CPUs?

I wonder whether there is some approach to provide specific CPUs with some program-readable identifier that allows to individually recognise each CPU in a way that survives programming operations that start by erasing the chip.

To be more clear, here is why I need this: I am having a bus with many AT90CAN nodes, each of them driving timed events. The CPU clock of each node is used to generate the necessary clock information. I use a polynomic correction algorithm to correct hardware-specific clock deviation, having a polynome which is specifically defined for each CPU (resp. its PCB).

At present, I maintain a list of CPUs and their individual correction polynomes and manually introduce them into the object code before a device is re-programmed. That is a tedious and error-prone way of doing (even if I store the polynome in eeprom and only need to adapt the object code when eeprom is re-programmed).

I would like to automatize the manual procedure by some lookup algorithm that uses a CPU id as a key. Has anybody come across this problem and found a solution? The ideal way would be to have a zone of the eeprom (a single byte would be enough) that is protected against programming-triggered erasure, and that can be used by the application.

(Note: during normal operation, there is a DCF-driven master timer that sends timer messages over the bus, allowing the nodes to synchronize; but the system must continue to work even if temporarily the master timer goes away - hence the need to adapt each node at least with a basic timer-offset correction).