Re: [avr-chat] How can I individualise specific CPUs?

From: Peter LaDow
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] How can I individualise specific CPUs?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:00:13 -0700

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Juergen Harms <address@hidden> wrote:
> Atmel evidently expects that either the bootloader is used more or less
> exclusively, or the programming mechanism - but not the kind of combination I
> had considered.

I guess I didn't really understand your requirement.  But the above
seems to be a bit inaccurate.  You can access the bootloader region
from the application region.  In fact, in a previous project I worked
on the bootloader "exported" the flash write/erase functions to the
application.  In this way the application had write/erase access to
its own flash.  And using the mechanism it seems possible to have your
application update flash as necessary to store any calibration
information you need.

In our case, we had a "patch" mechanism whereby the firmware loaded
patches from an SD card and stored them in flash.  This was all done
by the application with support from the bootloader for flash
erase/write.

Pete