[avr-chat] avrdude, problems on Mac OS X

From: Christian Prinoth
Subject: [avr-chat] avrdude, problems on Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 01:55:51 +0200

Hi,
 I am currently using avrdude 5.10 on Snow Leopard with a mySmartUSB MK2 programmer, which I understand is avr910 compatible.
I installed the Silabs driver and the device shows up as /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART.

Now if I execute:
  avrdude -P /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART -c avr910 -p m8
everything works, so no problems. But if I do it a second time, I get
  avrdude: avr910_recv(): programmer is not responding

The only ways to getting everything to work again is either unplug/replug the programmer, or run "screen /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART 19200", which probably somehow resets the serial port and makes the programmer accessible again.

I have tried the same setup on Ubuntu in a Virtual Box inside my Mac, and there everything works perfectly, so there must be something wrong with how avrdude handles the mac serial port. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? It is not a big issue, but annoying nonetheless.

Thanks
Christian