Re: [avr-chat] Missed Optimisation ?

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Missed Optimisation ?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 10:19:31 -0500

Erik wrote:

Errrrr ... Bob, if "result" is in RAM, and so can't be changed by
hardware, and interrupts have not been reenabled (we're in an ISR),
then how can "result" be volatile?

It's volatile if Bob has declared it volatile. The compiler doesn't know whether Bob is right or wrong to declare it volatile. Bob is right to declare it volatile if, as well as being accessed in this ISR, it is accessed by non-interrupt code. As I've already mentioned, if that is the case, interrupts should be disabled during the non-interrupt code access.

If memory serves me, here "volatile" is nearly as good as beer, for
starting a discussion. :-)

Even on the avr-gcc group, discussions about this keyword unearth all manner of misunderstandings. For some reason, posts by people who know what they are talking about are treated with no more authority than posts by people who are guessing or writing from incomplete knowledge or an inappropriate perspective. In other words, it seems that people can't even recognize the right answer when it is given. That's not beer, that's religion.

We have too few maintainers for the avr port, and the rest of us are
grateful to them, but not enough to compete for the job of making a good
tool "perfect". Oh, and I wonder if there are more little corner cases
than we would like to tackle.

In this instance, avr-gcc is working perfectly.

It doesn't do any harm to keep one's assembler skills honed, and the
ISRs are usually short enough to be easily done, barring surprises.

Writing in assembler because you don't properly understand the C language is, in my opinion, a very bad reason for taking longer to do the job and opening up a whole new can of worms in the C-to-assembler interface, which you may not properly understand either.

Graham.