[avr-chat] how to program arduino with avrdude and AVRISPmkII *without*

From: Britton Kerin
Subject: [avr-chat] how to program arduino with avrdude and AVRISPmkII *without* nuking bootloader?
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:22:35 -0700

Hi guys,

I can program the arduino using the bootloader.  Or I can program it using
AVRISPmkII, but that nukes the bootloader so I think have to replace it with
another avrdude command before I can use bootloader programming again.

Also, the bootloader programming method (-c arduino avrdude option) is nice and
fast, its like its only rewriting the pages in question for small programs.
I'd like to get the AVRISPmkII programming to be that fast, and also not
necessarily nuke the bootloader.  I've tried using --section-start=.text=0x7800
at link time but that doesn't do it.  I've tried -D option to avrdude to
skip the erase but it still takes a long time, nukes the bootloader, and
results in a non-working program.

Any have a compile/avrdude recipe that can do what I'm looking for?

Also, I couldn't find any good documentation on what --section-start and
-Map options really do?

Thanks,
Britton