Re: [avr-chat] Need a make guru; embedding web pages

From: Rick Mann
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Need a make guru; embedding web pages
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:25:10 -0700

On Sep 1, 2011, at 18:40 , David Kelly wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2011, at 5:02 PM, Rick Mann wrote:
>
>> On Aug 31, 2011, at 20:58 , David Kelly wrote:
>>
>>> The .depend file produced lists *all* dependancies tracking every #include
>>> recursively through your system to the very end.
>>
>> Ah, I wrote that last email before reading the rest of yours (about
>> makedepend).
>
> But you are correct in your prior posting that "make depend" will not find
> web.h in web.c if web.c does not exist when "make depend" is executed. It
> would only exist if you have built without depend, and only if it wasn't
> nuked by "make clean".
>
> You have a rule for building web.h out of *.html files. It shouldn't be
> circular to say web.o: web.c web.h. Or excessively redundant if makedepends
> also creates that rule. Not that sure how GNU makedepends operates but it
> should need a list from somewhere to know what files to scan for dependancies.

I finally got everything working (seems to do the right thing in all cases).
One thing I had to do was change the rules to do

        %.css  --> %.o
        %.png  --> %.o
        %.html --> %.o

Instead of what I would've preferred:

        %.css  --> %.css.o
        %.png  --> %.png.o
        %.html --> %.html.o

That took care of not only the circular dependency, but the occasional tendency
for Make to do the reverse of creating a .o from a .html: it would overwrite
the .html from the .o!

Thanks for your help.

--
Rick