Re: [avr-chat] ATXmega and usersig

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATXmega and usersig
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:18:19 -0700

On 04/12/2012 09:10 AM, Alexander Krause wrote:
Anyway, I read that there also is an erase command for the usersig and
avrdude does not implement any option for it. I'll try the current AVR
Studio and will see if I can somehow change my usersig in there.

I ran into this awhile ago and basically determined that in order to fully support the Xmega (and future?) avrdude needs to re-arrange the -E and erase commands so they can erase specific regions, presumably defaulting to a sane list of "semi-volatile" regions specifically *not* including the usersig. It would take over the function of the "don't erase the EEPROM" flag with a more generic approach.

I ended up giving up on usersig a while back for that reason, and just store my signature in EEPROM for now. I will need to be able to use the usersig again at some point soon though ;-(