Re: [avr-chat] ATXmega and usersig

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATXmega and usersig
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:04:07 +0200 (MET DST)

Erik Walthinsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I ran into this awhile ago and basically determined that in order to
> fully support the Xmega (and future?) avrdude needs to re-arrange the -E
> and erase commands so they can erase specific regions, presumably
> defaulting to a sane list of "semi-volatile" regions specifically *not*
> including the usersig.

I agree.  I think there's a bug report open for it.  It should be
possible to explicitly erase the individual flash segments, and the
default erase command (when issuing a -U flash:... option) should
probably not even be a chip erase but an application section erase.

I'm currently in the process of restructuring some of the Xmega
handling (which is one the remaining things I'd like to have done
before releasing AVRDUDE 6.0), and hope I'll find a nice solution to
the Xmega erase problem as part of this.