Re: [avr-chat] DAPA programming hardware options

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] DAPA programming hardware options
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 09:28:14 +0200

On 30/09/2012 04:32, Richard Cavell wrote:
Ahh the joys of Microsoft dictating what you can and cannot install on
your own hardware. Have you tried booting up a Linux LiveCD to see if
it can drive the parallel port?

- Yes, and it can't.

Damn it, a parallel port used to be ubiquitous.  Now it's a real problem.

(You've got a problem with your email program - it seems to be sending in html, it's not quoting previous posts properly, and it is not tracking threads and setting the "References" header correctly so that threading is messed up.)

The parallel port was a great tool, but these days it is more effort than it is worth. Third-party parallel port boards exist, but they are often problematic. One issue is that they often use non-standard port addresses or IRQs, or at least addresses other than the LPT1 addresses. Or sometimes they /do/ use the LPT1 addresses, but the motherboard has claimed these for itself (even though it does not implement a parallel port physically). And a lot of parallel port software is fixed for LPT1 only.

We make a point of keeping a few old PCs with parallel ports (and XP or earlier windows) for when they are needed, but it's been several years since I've used a parallel port. (I haven't used them at all under Linux - most parallel port software is DOS/Windows only.)

Do yourself a favour and move to USB. It may feel a little like you are giving in to the pressure, but it's a lost battle. USB works smoothly and reliably in Linux, and it works most of the time on Windows, and a USB Atmel USB ISP programmer will cost you far less than a motherboard with a parallel port.

mvh.,

David