[avr-chat] Debugging contents of external SRAM (avrdude?)

From: Juergen Harms
Subject: [avr-chat] Debugging contents of external SRAM (avrdude?)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:46:42 +0200

I have recently augmented an application by adding external NV RAM (AT90CAN128, DS1244), using the NV RAM for data I - so far - kept in EEPROM.

For debugging/maintenance purposes it would be nice to have an easy way to - very occasionally - manually inspect/modify some few bytes of NV RAM storage - for instance to request an application to, at boot time, re-initialize the NV RAM from a template that is kept in flash memory.

Avrdude design restricts interactive access to a set of memory types which - for obvious reasons - does not include RAM (reasons that do not apply to external RAM). Did somebody come across this question and can suggest an easy-to-implement solution?

At present I consider to continue using eeprom to flag special actions that should be done at boot time (and where I can manipulate the flag with Avrdude) - would be more consistent if actions on SRAM could be flagged in SRAM.

Juergen