Re: [avr-chat] microcontroller for complete irrigation unit.

From: Juergen Harms
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] microcontroller for complete irrigation unit.
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:52:57 +0200

arduino vs. some avrlibc solution is one question.

But there are other questions: what will your requirements be - say 2 years from now? still 1 single circuit, or several circuits where the circuits are part of programmes - as most somewhat sophisticated commercial irrigation systems offer? (having the facility to program activation times and periods - using a microprocessor without forseeing this flexibility of use would appear a poor solution to me) what hardware arrangement will you use some time from now: a minimum DIL processor or some mor sophisticated pcb-mounted device? will you support input for sensing soil humidity? all these things go together.

I think that the precise choice of the type of microcontroller is secondary. I am using an AT90CAN128 - but this is networked over a CAN bus (plus a separate PCB for driving 24V AC irrigation circuits via photorelays - the irrigation system just being part of a discributed domotics system).

Good luck, Juergen