Re: [avr-chat] STK500 w/ EEPROM chips

From: Kyle Evans
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] STK500 w/ EEPROM chips
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 14:32:43 -0500

On 08/07/2015 03:42 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2015, Kyle Evans wrote:

Can avrdude and the STK500 write to a stand-alone EEPROM chip, for
something like flashing coreboot onto a motherboard EEPROM chip.

Probably not.
avrdude and STK500 are for AVRs and use their protocols.
A stand-alone EEPROM will probably not use the same protocol.
That said, if the EEPROM is made  by Atmel, it might use the same protocol.
One can always check the specs.

By protocol do you mean command set? They both support SPI and ISP. The data sheet for the chip has all of the commands, but I have not yet found any related material in any of the documentation that I have for the STK500. Which, is kind of why I'm fishing to see if anyone has tried this. My next step is to compile avrdude and see what I find.

I read that the Raspberry Pi can do it. I have one of those too, but I'd rather have something more robust than a socket floating in mid air wire-wrapped to some pins on the Rpi.