avr-gcc-list

[avr-gcc-list] Yet another Butterfly gcc-port attempt

From: Martin Thomas
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Yet another Butterfly gcc-port attempt
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:06:57 +0200

Hello,

I'd like to ask for help with another AVR-Butterfly AVR-GCC-Port attempt.

I found some information about this in the list-archive (July 2003) and in
the AVRFREAKS forum-archive. Where "DESI" from Mexico had several
threads with questions and got some answers esp. form Joerg Wunsch.
I tried his port, but beside of a message ("Hello from Mexiko") in the LCD
the other functions implemented in the original Atmel IAR code are not
accessable
(may be my fault, I'm still a beginner with the "gcc-toolchain").

So I tried to start from scratch with the Atmel-Code and applied
changes from the "DESI"-Code and from a patch of Joerg Wunsch
which I found in the list-archive. So far this has been done:

- change of labels to be compatible with avr/iom168.h
- replaced IAR functions to avr-libc-functions (sleep, enable_interrupt
  etc.)
- work around the __flash attribute with PROGMEM attribute and
  avr/pgmspace.h access functions
- used PSTR() to store constant strings in flash and adapted the access
  functions.
- changes from __interrupt() to SIGNAL(...) for the interrupt handlers
- fixed some filename and #include mismatches to be compatible
  with case-sensitive OSes
- added some volatile attributes

But the compiled code does not work with the Butterfly. I need some
help.

Everything can be found on: http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/

I'm using  WINAVR (Sept. 2003 edition).

I hope this does not violate any ATMEL copyrights (there are copyright
notes in dataflash.h/.c) . If you think it does, please inform me and I will
take the page from the server.

When the code hopefully will work sometime I think it would be a good idea to
add it to the examples directory in the WINAVR or avr-libc
distribution-package.
Giving beginners (like me) a good starting point for own developments on a
relativly
cheap prototyping hardware. Presumed there are no copyright issues.

You may ask "why all this effort? It's just a toy". Well, I hope that the
Butterfly with it's 4mBit Data-Flash can be used as a small datalogger for
one-channel low-frequency sampling. I don't want to reinvent the wheel and
use some functions which are already there in the demo-application (esp.
the menu-system, LCD-functions and ADC-functions)
Using it as a "human-interface-terminal" for systems with no user interface is
just
another idea.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Martin

P.S. Did anyone use AVRDUDE with the Butterfly? Tried the options
-p m169 -c avr910 but AVRDUDE can not detect the device (question-marks).