RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor files -- was: interval.spad INTRVL

From: Weiss, Juergen
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor files -- was: interval.spad INTRVL
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:49:42 +0200

> A few thoughts:
>
> Though the system should be open (that is modular) so that
> it allows the addition or the replacement of parts by developpers
> who want AXIOM as a testbed for new ideas, the core
> system should contain only one parser, one compiler etc...
> Having everything at least twice increases comlexity beyond
> the point where we are able to manage the sources.
>
> There are parts of the AXIOM interpreter (graphics, hypertext, etc)
> which I would consider optional components. The core system
> should run on any common lisp system without any additional
> functionality which is now provided by C code. For example
> the core system does not need xdr functions. This would make
> initial porting to for example Windows much easier.

Some other thoughts:

Axiom is written in boot and lisp. The original lisp seems
to be a lisp on an IBM mainframe. There is a glue layer for
common lisp -- sometimes only renaming functions. Where do
we go from here? Use common lisp as the lisp language and elimiate
most of the glue? Write in common lisp or in boot? It seems
that some more recent files have been written in common lisp.

Juergen

Juergen Weiss     | Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
address@hidden| 55099 Mainz, Tel: +49(6131)39-26361, FAX:
+49(6131)39-26407