Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and the scientific commnunauty

From: Daniel Augot
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and the scientific commnunauty
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:38:47 +0200

David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:

> Long answer: Tim (and other people like me) believe that the long term
> viability of Axiom relies on its internal documentation. So all Axiom
> source code is available in a pamphlet form, which is essentially latex
> + source code. Currently, only the build process is documented.

I completly agree with that. Document, document, document. Eventually
this will atract people who may become gurus with the
interpreter/compiler, and who will improve it.

I see that hyperdoc is missing. Wouldn't it be possible to ship it with
axiom. This kind of hypertex browser is ideal to cope with the huge
axiom mathematical library.

> For internal documentation, look for .dvi files in a compiled Axiom
> tree.

Ok I have notably found the DeveloperNotes.dvi, which seems quite
valubale.

Afterthoughts after my message. In fact I am big axiom fan, and the
first time I sat in front of a computer, it was for learning Scratchpad
II in front of a VM/CMS computer. My previous mail was to reflect the
septicism of some french researchers, after the failure of axiom from
NAG. This septicism is a bit mine, althought I heartly hope that axiom
will at last gain the communauty it merits. Thus the need for
documentation.

Daniel