RE: [Axiom-developer] TeXmacs interface and backward compatibility

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] TeXmacs interface and backward compatibility
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:11:34 -0400

Tim,

The problem is with the synchronization of the
input/output between Axiom and TeXmacs. There is
a small "filter" program called tm_axiom which fits
between Axiom and TeXmacs. The filter needs to know
when it can send a buffer originating from TeXmacs
to Axiom. It does this by waiting for the Axiom
prompt -> to be output by Axiom. The original version
of tm_axiom expected two such prompts before it
would begin to send the TeXmacs buffer to Axiom.
The change that David and I have made to tm_axiom
causes it to wait for only one Axiom prompt.

I am not sure, but I suspect that this change will
not break the interface between the older versions
of Axiom which do generate two prompts. The result of
our change is that tm_axiom will send the buffer
immediately after receiving the first prompt. Axiom
should simply issue one more prompt and then read the
buffer from it's input anyway. Unfortunately, I am
not able to test this since I do not have access to
any earlier versions of Axiom.

Cheers,
Bill Page.